In 1967, property owners living just west of the Laramie city limits submitted a petition for annexation which was subsequently approved by the Governing Body. The Ordinance annexed sixty-four (64) blocks of a one-hundred and twenty (120) block rural subdivision that was originally platted in 1886. From 1886 – 1967, the rural subdivision had developed according to County government standards with homes in the area utilizing septic tanks and water wells ranging from fourteen (14) feet to some fifty-six (56) feet in depth. Court records indicate that “by early summer of 1966 the health hazard created by the foregoing situation had become rather critical” causing area residents to petition for annexation in order to secure connections to the municipal water and sanitary sewer systems. Following annexation, the City extended municipal water and sanitary sewer systems to residents.
The decision of the Wyoming Supreme Court affirming the annexation action provides a fairly concise history of the annexation proceedings. No agreement or court record has been found to substantiate that the City agreed as part of the annexation to convert gravel streets to paved surfaces or to install storm drainage infrastructure.
For more information, go to: https://www.courtlistener.com/opinion/1170002/in-re-west-laramie/